Kolhapur is well known paradise for non vegetarian lovers, but it has many eating options equally wonderful for vegetarian food. Also, in general there is a misconception about "Kolhapur" food that it has to be really spicy and having lot of chillies. Only when you visit Kolhapur, one realizes that this is myth!
Once in Kolhapur, you should never miss out on "MISAL", which is famous maharashtrian snack. Authentic misal can be tasted only in Kolhapur, because outside Kolhapur, in many places in Maharashtra, people only add lot of oil and red chilly and serve it as 'kolhapuri misal'. There are many famous misal eating joints.
- Fadatare Misal: This is in 'Udyam Nagar' and by far the most popular misal place. It has been featured extensively in print and television media, but owners still prefer to run this place in the backyard of old factory in an industrial area. It has retained its taste for all these years, and hence it is popular among local as well as tourists.
- Chorage Misal: Off Mahadwar road. Equally popular place.
- Bawada Misal : This used to be very famous misal joint and has been visited by many celebrities, a fact easily seen from the pictures hanging on its wall.
- Other good places are Datta Caffe, Ahar Vihar, Khas Bag misal, Kothawale (Laxmi) misal.
Hindustan Bakery is famous for its biscuits, cookies and bread. It also serves fast food items such as pizza and burger. There are 2 branches, one in city area near the Mahalaxmi temple in front of the Kapilteerth Market and the other new one in Rajarampuri.
List of Restaurants:
- Hotel Victor Palace
- Hotel Raysons (24 /7 Coffee shop)
- Hotel Pearl
- Hotel Meghdoot
- Hotel Opel (best for veg and non-veg)... very process oriented and a disciplined yet upholding the charm of the garden within. []
- Hotel Khavvaiya ( Gujrathi )
A full meal without drinks will cost around 80 to 200 INR. Hotels generally close by 11 PM, while some of them have Coffee shops that also serve rice variety round the clock.
- Padma Guest House. A traditional Kolhapuri cuisine restaurant serving authentic Kolhapuri Thali's (veg & non-veg) since 1947. Located very close to Mahalaxmi Temple.
Don't forget to eat the "paandhraa rassaa" & "taambdaa rassa" in non-veg. These are two special curries which are tradition of Kolhapur.
For party freaks Kolhapur has got some decent bars & restaurants like Scores (beside Hotel Victor Palace) & Texas (in Hotel Ayodhya), also Mithila is a family bar & restaurant in Hotel Ayodhya.